We have done several Dynamics GP2010 upgrades now and I have had occasion to modify several of these templates. The manual for this functionality is actually part of the report writer manual for dynamics GP 2010 however it is not as simple as it seems.
Below are several tips to make life easier.
1. Do not use logos in the base report writer report. If you have a logo any modified fields will not come across to the word template.
2. Do not modify the existing Microsoft templates. Its hard to tell whether a table is nested within another table on the templates and it is vital to know this to be able to accurately place the required word bookmarks that determine how the template behaves. It is a lot easier to create your own template from scratch as you will know for certain how the word tables are structured on the format.
3. Avoid placing images in the header or footer that are not within a single cell table.
4. Print the base report writer report to an XML data file. You can then use this as a import file for the dynamics GP datasource for the word document should fields go missing.
5. Avoid the use of multiple additional headers and footers on the base report writer document (this can get messy) keep to Report headers, Body and report footer as much as possible.
6. Keep it simple